Sakura me

Sunday, August 27, 2006
On this day:

Internet Anonymity (sort of)

So I think it's interesting all the stuff we can do on the internet in a somewhat anonymous way. Searching on google and reading webpages and such seem to be pretty anonymous. But you know, there is a way to see who visits your site (sort of). Everyone who is connected to the internet has an IP address that is broadcasted while they surf. Of course, there are tools for hiding IP addresses but I'm guessing that few people use them or know about them. The IP address sometimes says a lot about people. And there are services that can tell you even more.

For example, I'm using Site Meter on my site to see how many people are visiting my blog. I can check who has visited but all I see is an IP address, which sometimes tells me where the person is located. It also tells me what site they were looking at before they clicked through to my site. It also sometimes says where they go when they leave my site. I think it's really interesting to see all this. There are a bunch of people who have looked at my site and I have no idea who a lot of them are!

For example, today, at about 4 pm, someone in Mitaka (in Tokyo, Japan) visited my site. This person got to my site by searching for "ASIJ" at Technorati. I have no idea who this person is, but I appear to have 2 connections to them. I lived in Mitaka when I was in Japan and I went to ASIJ (which I'm assuming this person did as well). That's pretty neat!

Another example is someone from Baltimore, Maryland and another from Pottstown, Pennsylvania. Both of these people use Comcast internet and they have visited my site a number of times. I would love to find out who these people are because it intrigues me very much! So if you're one of those anonymous users out there checking my blog, I want to say THANKS for taking a gander, and feel free to leave me a message sometime and let me know who you are and whether you like my site!!

(I was just checking the visits to my site again and I'm thinking that maybe the Pottstown person is actually my sister, but she lives in Philly. So I'm not quite sure how it determines where you are located ...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home