Sakura me

Wednesday, August 16, 2006
On this day:

Links I Clicked on Today

Here are some links I clicked on today (with commentary, of course)

FairyTale Bundt Pan
I want this!

Generate your own Wind Energy At Home!!

Why can't we have renewable energy on a larger scale? It seems to make perfect sense, yet those in power can't seem to get a grip on reality. Can anyone say greedy oil tycoons? Chad and I are switching to 100% wind generated power from our electric company, PECO. We have to pay an additional 2.54 cents per kilowatt hour we use. I don't mind paying this small amount because we are usually between 200 and 300 kWh and that corresponds to less than an additional $10 per month. However, shouldn't I be paying LESS for something that is essentially in unlimited supply and that is better for the environment overall? I just don't get it.

Build your own house!

I want to buy a piece of land up in the mountains somewhere and build my own house (sort of). This company will sell you a shell of a house and you then need to do (or have done) all the interior stuff such as insulation, plumbing, electric, etc. Apparently it can be much cheaper doing it this way than buying an already-built home. Sounds like fun!

The Meatrix 2!!

If you ever saw the "meatrix" when it first came out, then you'll be excited to see this one too! Even though I watch these things and sympathize, I still can't give up meat. And not only do I eat meat, I buy whatever is cheapest at the local grocery store. Am I a terrible person for not making sure I buy "free range" and "organic" and all that stuff? I would love to, but it is just so cost prohibitive. I just wish the free range and other environmentally responsible farmers were subsidized as heavily as say, the soybean and corn farmers who grow genetically engineered foods. Or maybe as much as the oil industry is subsidized. That would be fantastic! Give the "good guys" a chance to actually compete in the marketplace.

Republicans walk out on Gay awards

Ummm, what? This is just stupid.

Buying Local

Here's another farm-related article. It would be great if everyone's food was produced right around the corner, rather than thousands of miles away. Will it ever happen? Probably not until all civilization on earth is extinguished and we start over from scratch. But I've been known to be wrong in the past (though I don't enjoy admitting it).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home