Sakura me

Sunday, August 13, 2006
On this day:

Taxes, Welfare, etc.

So we had dinner at Chad's family's house in Delaware today. We go there pretty regularly for parties. Today we were talking to Chad's Aunt Beth about her job. She works for Montgomery County (where we live). Her job involves determining whether people are eligible to get child care money from the county. This generally involves paying for child care while parents are at work. Often it might be a single parent raising children on their own with no help from the other parent (i.e. no child support money coming in). The money to pay for all this comes from the State (in other words, this is part of the taxes I pay by living in Pennsylvania). Now I am not against this sort of thing. I think it is appropriate for people who are fortunate enough to have good jobs should help fund government programs to help those less fortunate than us. However, I hear stories from Aunt Beth about how people basically abuse the system and might just be lazy but are getting child care money from the county because they are eligible under the law. To me this is just rude and it bugs me a bit. So I guess the question becomes, how can we have a system like this that is actually just and fair to all involved and that actually functions to get people back on their feet and become successul? I'd love to hear opinions on this and other types of government programs, such as welfare, that help low income people using higher income people's taxes. I'm not opposed to these in principal, but I just hope it isn't making some people lazy. You know? If someone has a truly legitimate reason for needing help, then there needs to be government to support them. But if there are people who just think it's easier to live poor and get help from the government, then I think that is wrong. Apparently for this child care program in Montgomery county, the people who are eligible only have to work 20 hours per week to get child care support. What about all the families where there are two parents who both work 40 hours per week or more and whose taxes from working those jobs is going to support these other people? I don't know, it just seems somewhat strange to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home